Monday, January 03, 2005

After Christmas we took a trip to Texas to visit family. On I-20 between Dallas and Ft. Worth, when you are passing car dealerships, shopping malls, and other evidence of middle and upper class prosperity, I saw a magnificent and obviously new church building. The imposing structure is a sandstone beige color and sits squarely facing the highway. At the edge of the property was a banner which says "Your Tithes at Work".

Somehow, I don't think that would be something I would be proud of. Jesus was born in a stable, laid in a manger, grew up in a back-water province under foreign occupation, was persecuted and maligned during his ministry, and died on a cruel Roman cross so we could assemble in multi-million dollar edifices and call ourselves his followers????

I know . . . I'm too radical.

1 comment:

Matt Elliott said...

Hi, Greg! This is Matthew Elliott, a classmate of yours from college days. I've been keeping an eye on you from a distance for quite a while now! I have quite a few old friends who worship with you, and I hear nothing but good things. Just wanted to say hi.

When you get a chance, stop by and visit my blog.